Tuesday 1 March 2016

Ancillary Product Feedback Part 1: Magazine Feedback

After finishing the first ,and in the case of my poster, second draft of my ancillary products I was ready to expose them to my peer group for assessment. As many of them had not seen the work before they were a very suitable group to use. I printed out both the poster and film review page on A3, allowing my assessors to see each of element of each fully and easily. Once I gave out my products I asked for feedback on anything they thought could be improved or things I had not used which are particularly conventional of that media text. Below is the feedback I received typed up from the post it notes:

Magazine article

 Aidan Rawlonson’s Feedback
  • "Photo of camera is out of place”
  • “Speech Bubbles don’t match tone.”
Conclusion: When I made the decision to include a picture of the camera I did so using the knowledge I collected from reading and researching film review magazines. Often I found an ‘exclusive’ photo from the production of the film. However in its current state I feel that without a article to support each photo it is overtly obvious that the picture of the camera is the odd one out and therefore I understand why such a conclusion was made.
                I knew placing the speech bubbles was a gamble however I still feel that they do have relevance. As my assessors don’t have a full understanding of my products brand identity or what kind of audience my magazine has I can see why the speech bubbles may look out of place. I will be trying to ensure the page layout supports the comic book style bubbles.

Lily Potter’s Feedback
  • “Needs page numbers to fit conventions”
  • “Good Layout”
  • “Not sure on red background”
  • "Change the shape of the speech bubbles, looks cartoonish”  
  • “Good font for the film title”
  • “Change thickness of font”
Conclusion: The first comment highlights something I forgot to include within the draft. Page numbers are will be vital for ensuring that my product remains as conventional as possible. I have looked at my draft and currently finding a suitable place to put the feature.
             Despite the vagueness of this comment I feel that it is still useful. As the layout of a film review is critical in attracting readers and keeping them engaged the fact that this particualr feature has been highlighted is definitly positive.
              When evaluating this comment I have found it difficult to interpret however in terms of the use of red on my page, I feel that the colour is too saturated and could perhaps be recoloured. The bold red banners work well but the red outline of the various elements is far too bold and needs to be changed as it averts the readers attention.
              The speech bubbles have been highlighted again in terms of their style. Similarly in how I reacted to the previous comment, I feel that I have not outlined the target audience suffiently enough for my assessors to judge correctly. However, this comment suggests that the bubbles work but nee changing. I will have to experiment with line weight and other elements to generate a better effect.
               When I chose the font for the 'Invaded' title I tried to replicate the style I used within the film itself. I chose a metalic, delicate font with twice the amount of spacing between the letters. The letters are placed on black which highlight the word and fit with the 'space' sci-fi theme.
               As I said before I gave the posters to my assessors, they knew that the writing within the columns was filler writing, used to pad the page out while I construct the film review. Due to his I presume that the final comment about the font is refering to such used elsewhere. After seeing the page printed off I can see that the text used on the scroll of quotes is far too compacted and thin for the reader. I will be experimenting with font, size and space formatting to improve the element.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment