Friday 4 March 2016

Importing and Editing the Flashbacks

With all of my images ready to be used within my film, I imported  the photos and replaced the filler images I used previous to represent the flashbacks. To ensure I edited correctly I re-watched my film a few times, to remove any doubt about the placement of my flashbacks. I came to the conclusion that the 2nd one, approximately half way through the film was obsolete. The narration going into enough detail about the events revolving around the survivors history with firearms and therefore rendering any additional scene on the subject obsolete. Despite breaking the conventions of flashbacks. which usually come in triplets throughout a film, I feel that the removal of such is beneficial and increases the flow of my product. Also, as the entire film is a reflection on the past the rule may not apply.
            I used a variety of effects on the photos once I had edited them into my film in the correct place. Compared to the rest of the film, the images were very bright and looked very out of place. Unlike my film which has a blue tint over the majority of the footage, the flashback scenes are high in contrast and did not conform well with the rest. I addressed this through the use of Final Cut’s bank of effects. Using the filter ‘noir’ I altered the colour ratio of the images resulting in a very different aesthetic. The edges of the silhouettes were blurred and the previously bright white background was tinged yellow. Below is an example of the effect applied to one of the photographs:





In addition to the filters I placed, I also added some animated effects overlaid on the images. In one of the flashbacks the scenes are taking place whilst a thunder storm is happening. To reinforce the pathetic fallacy I timed the lightning strikes in the audio with an effect called flash. Whenever the audio played certain elements of the image would light up creating the illusion of  a lighting strike. Below is a short video with one of the completed flashback scenes:

No comments:

Post a Comment